Everyone loves saving money. The good news is that Spring is just around the corner and it is the perfect time to add a few tasks to your honey-do list. It’s not just about turning the lights off and unplugging appliances. Saving energy requires a commitment of time to make some home improvements to ensure long term savings.
Spring Energy Savings
- Insulation Evaluation. Inspect your insulation to be sure you have enough; it is the right kind of insulation; and you don’t have gaps that are allowing your hard earned air to escape out the windows, sdoors and ductwork. Suprisingly, new homes do not have sufficient insulation in the walls, attic and ceiling. R-value insulation can make a big difference in heating and cooling expenses alike.
- Update HVAC, Heating and Cooling Systems. Despite the fact that energy accounts for nearly 60 percent of home expenses, a surprising number of homeowners continue to use outdated and inefficient equipment. If your system is 15 to 20 years old, have a look at some of the very cool new air conditioning, heat pumps and HVAC systems. They are much cleaner, quieter and of course, more energy efficient.
- Google Your Appliances. Find out what your Energy Star rating is for all of your appliances. The government’s Energy Star program provides a label to help homeowners recognize efficient appliances, ranging from water heaters and clothes dryers to dishwashers and dryers. Seek out the Energy Star label when buying new appliances.
- Update Light Bulbs. Surprisingly, many homeowners are attached to incandescent bulbs, despite the savings — as much as 50 percent — available from fluorescent bulbs. Replace incandescent and halogen bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Do Not Procrastinate. Get your calendar out and schedule your regular HVAC and appliance maintenance in one easy phone call. Then, add a reminder to your calendar every 4 months to do a troubleshooting checklist yourself. It doesn’t take much, but the end game may be saving a boatload of money by the end of the year. No one wants a repairman visit during the holidays. Start now and get your maintenance done.
Learn how to save energy today. Call Roberts Air Conditioning. We are celebrating 10 years of service to Northbrook, Glenview and Deerfield residents.