You probably know that carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that is odorless and colorless. What you may not know is that there are many sources for carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, and it is important to be aware of those sources, and how to prevent CO levels from damaging your indoor air.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide in Your Home
Carbon Monoxide sources include furnaces and other gas-powered appliances such as dryers, ranges and water heaters, as well as generators, lawnmowers, outboard motors, grills and automobiles. Anything that operates by means of internal combustion in your home is a source of carbon monoxide, which is a byproduct of the incomplete burning of oxygen and a fuel. Appliances must be well vented to the outdoors. Never start your car, nor use any of the other appliances or equipment in an attached garage. Exercise caution when using a lawnmower or starting an outboard motor near your home to make sure CO is not wafting into the dwelling space.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur quite suddenly and the symptoms are sometimes mistaken for the flu. Such symptoms include:
- Chest pain
- Loss of consciousness
Home Ventilation and CO Detectors
- Install a good quality carbon monoxide detector in your home. Choose one with voice capabilities so that in addition to alarming you to dangerous levels of CO, it can tell you which room it is in so you can get out of the home safely.
- When you have your furnace or other heating system inspected each year, make sure that the service pro checks the chimney, flu or vent to ensure that everything is connected as it should be, that there are no holes, gaps or obstructions, and that the gases will be exhausted properly.
To learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning, contact Roberts Heating and Air Conditioning at 847-272-5836. We’ve been serving Northbrook communities for more than 35 years.