With winter weather quickly approaching, many Chicago homeowners are determining if it’s the right time to upgrade their heating system. If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, it may be time to upgrade your heating system:
- Does the furnace or air conditioner run constantly?
- Is your home HVAC system more than 10 years old and having difficulty making your home comfortable?
- Are your utility costs greater than you think they should be?
Today’s HVAC systems are substantially more energy efficient than models made even a decade ago. A new, efficient system can increase your home’s indoor air comfort and decrease utility costs.
What to Consider Before Upgrading the Heating System
Before investing in an upgraded heating system, take time to evaluate each of the following:
- Air leaks – Air leakage to the outdoors or unconditioned areas of your home can significantly decrease efficiency and comfort. Be sure to address and seal your home first, as air leaks may be the root cause of the heating issues. While it may not eliminate the need to upgrade your heating system, the replacement system may be sized smaller due to increased efficiency.
- Energy assessment – An energy efficiency professional can perform an assessment to find energy leaks. Some municipalities and energy companies subsidize the cost for the assessment and others provide assistance for making repairs to increase energy efficiency.
- HVAC professional – Speak with a qualified HVAC professional to evaluate the existing HVAC system and suggestions for replacement. As a part of their assessment, qualified HVAC technicians should do a load assessment to determine the right system size for the specific needs of your home.
For professional advice on upgrading the heating system in your home, contact Roberts Heating & Air Conditioning today.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com