When Chicago’s cold weather arrives, nothing beats coming in from the cold to a warm and comfortable home, but this isn’t always the case. A heating system that struggles to warm your home means higher energy bills and less home comfort. If you think your furnace could be doing a better job, try these heating tips to help your heating system work at its best.
High Efficiency Heating
- Get a tune-up – Every year, have an HVAC professional inspect the system and perform routine maintenance to ensure the furnace is operating at peak performance.
- Replace the air filter – Furnace filters should be changed frequently. A dirty or clogged air filter will place a strain on a heating system, using more energy to produce less heat. Also check to see that the furnace and water heater are properly ventilated.
- Allow circulation – Once you know the heating system is working efficiently, make sure heated air is circulating freely through your home. Don’t let furniture, drapes or rugs obstruct vents, and don’t allow dust to collect on a radiator.
- Install a programmable thermostat – For optimum efficiency, upgrade the thermostat to a programmable model which will allow you to create a heating schedule.
- Switch to a high-efficiency system – If your home’s furnace or boiler needs replacing, consider upgrading to a high-efficiency Energy Star model for optimal energy savings.
Know that relying on your heating system for comfort in the cold winter months increases the likelihood of a house fire. Here are some safe heating tips to be aware of:
- Have the chimney inspected and cleaned each year.
- Change the air filter every one to three months throughout the heating season, more frequently if you have pets.
- Install smoke alarms in each bedroom.
- Never use an oven to heat your home.
- Make sure the furnace is working correctly before cold weather sets in.
If you’d like to schedule a tune-up for your home’s furnace, or for more information about any of these heating tips, contact the experts at Roberts Heating & Air Conditioning. We’ve proudly provided Northbrook area homeowners with expert service for over 30 years.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com